Mungidni’s One Ton Post is a heritage-listed survey marker, established in 1882 on the bank of the Barwon River. This historical monument marks the first official survey of the border between the colonies of Queensland and New South Wales. An accurate definition of the borders was required for both legal and economic purposes.
In Mungindi, this remarkable physical monument erected by Surveyor JB Cameron represents the end of the three year task of surveying the section from Cameron Corner to the Barwon River. Today it pays as a reminder to the nineteenth century’s extraordinarily difficult conditions which surveyors worked in.
Erected by JB Cameron, the timber post is the original marker. It is carved with “J. CAMERON GS” running up on one face and “LAT 29” on another face which marks the termination of the survey at Latitude 29. The post is 2.7 metres in height. It is one of the largest timber survey posts in Australia.
For many years, the need for an official survey of the border had been recognised. However, work did not begin until mid 1879, when officers from both colonies met at the town of Barringun close to the border. Although this was not the first border survey, it was the first official survey.